All branches closed for Independence Day, July 4
100 Year Old Paynesville Public Library First Home In a Closet
In May of 1908, according to the book Paynesville Minnesota, Centennial:1858-1958, compiled by the staff of the Paynesville Press, "...a mass meeting was called for those interested in forming a library in Paynesville, and as a result the Paynesville Free Library Association came into being." Despite the name, the committee also established a twenty-five cent per year fee to belong to the Association. The library was housed "..in a closet in the office of Frank Tolman." (Tolman was a local attorney.) Two years later, in 1910, the library came under the jurisdiction of the Village of Paynesville, and became a public library.
Today, the library is housed in a 2,500 square foot building (pictured): It has two closets. There is no fee to join. People who do join become cardholders in the Great River Regional Library and have access to nearly 1 million items on the shelves at 32 libraries in Central Minnesota.